Fair trade facts in the UK
• In 2012, the Fairtrade market in the UK was worth £1.53bn – an increase of an amazing 18% on 2011. In some years there has been a year on year increase of fair trade products of over 70%.
• There are more than 4,500 Fairtrade certified products carrying the Fairtrade Mark.
• More than 7.5 million people (farmers, workers, families and their communities) across more than 66 developing countries benefit from the international Fairtrade system.
• There are 560 producer groups selling to the UK. With 991 Fairtrade producer organisations worldwide. That is over half in the UK, making Fair Trade a big success!
• In 2012, farmers and workers from some of the world’s poorest countries received €65 million in Fairtrade Premium to invest in business, social and environmental projects in their communities
• Nearly three-quarters (74%) of the UK population recognise the Fairtrade Mark.
Number of Fair trade organisations in the UK
Number of Fair trade schools: 1737
Number of Fair trade universities: 177
Number of Fair trade churches: 7555
Number of Fair trade synagogues: 46
Number of Fair trade mosques: 2
Number of Fair trade towns, cities and villages: 617
(These figures of Fair Trade organisations have continued to grow as these figures are only accurate 2017).